- 1. Reasons for Hair Loss
- 2. Women’s Haircuts for a Receding Hairline
- 3. Haircuts for Men with Pattern Baldness
- 4. How to Choose a Flattering Haircut for a Receding Hairline
A receding hairline is common not only in men, but also in women. However, there are haircuts that can help to cover it. We have hit up a few hair stylists for tips on how to look stylish even if you have a receding hairline.
Reasons for Hair Loss
Many men notice hair loss in their early thirties and 8/10 men get a receding hairline by forty.
Many men are affected by male pattern baldness that causes them to lose hair on the top of the head and by the forehead. Hair stylists divide these hair loss types into three types:
- a receding hairline with bald spots forming a semicircle along the forehead
- a round bald spot on the top of the head
- a combination of these two types.
Apart from a genetic predisposition we can do nothing about, such hair loss can be caused by the following factors:
- excessive stress
- an unbalanced diet
- an unhealthy lifestyle
- an improper hair care routine
- scalp diseases
- medicines or some food additives
- chronic diseases.
Although to a lesser extent, women also get bald spots. Most often, women get a bald spot on the top of the head where hair starts getting thinner and falling out. Due to hair loss, a parting ends up looking wider. A receding hairline is seen in both men and women. The hairline moves back as the hair on the sides, above the temples falls out.
There are more factors that can lead to hair loss in women. Here they are:
- fluctuations in hormone levels during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or menopause
- diseases and medicinal treatment
- chronic diseases
- chronic stress, sleep deprivation, fatigue
- an improper hair care routine
- hair procedures that use aggressive substances, tight hairstyles, wearing hats
- dandruff, fungal scalp infections.
If you start noticing too many hairs left on your brush or they fall out in bunches, it can indicate alopecia. You should turn to a trichologist to determine its degree and cause.
More on this topic: Hair Falling Out? Learn Why and How to Stop It
Women’s Haircuts for a Receding Hairline
When you notice the first signs of bald spots and a receding hairline, consider getting a new haircut to conceal them. An experienced hairdresser will suggest a cut that will not only conceal this issue, but also fit in with your personal style.
What features of a haircut should you pay attention to? Stylists suggest haircuts with bangs as a go-to option for people with balding spots. Here are some types of bangs you may want to consider:
- classic blunt
- elongated side
- asymmetric and textured.
A trend that is still going strong is bangs with textured ends: long in the middle and a few сentimeters longer on the sides. Such bangs can be styled back, to the side, or divided in two along the parting.
Strands of different length will give more volume to the hairstyle and distract attention from balding spots and a receding hairline.
Those of us who have to deal with a receding hairline should consider getting a pixie cut with pretty elongated bangs.
A layered bob is a haircut that works perfectly on hair with bald spots and a receding hairline. It creates additional volume that helps to cover balding spots.
Covering Balding Spots: Tricks from Hair Stylists
Covering a balding spot on the top of the head, very thin hair, or a widening hair part is a challenging task. However, hair stylists have invented tricks that will help hide these issues:
- If you have long hair, you can conceal balding areas by changing the place of the parting.
- Dying some strands a couple of shades lighter will help create additional volume.
- Styling your hair with a diffuser will work for people with long hair.
Haircuts for Men with Pattern Baldness
Let’s take a look at haircuts that will help cover balding spots and a receding hairline.
It’s a win-win option that will definitely help make balding spots less visible. Balding spots are especially noticeable on dark hair, so the trick is to reduce this contrast, which is just the task for the buzz cut.
An option for the daring ones — the clean shave. However, take into account the shape of your head before getting it.
Short haircuts work better on dark hair with a receding hairline. The darker the hair — the shorter the cut.
Thanks to strands of different length and a slight messiness, such cuts can conceal a receding hairline and balding spots on the top of the head.
Short sides and combed back hair on the top of the head will make the receding hairline and balding spots less visible. Elevate your look with a stylish beard to distract attention from these areas even more.
This haircut successfully makes up for the disadvantages of thinning hair if you style your bangs and front strands back, do a clean part or on the contrary — go for a messy look.
Experts usually select the type of this haircut that will flatter your face shape and work the best with your balding spots.
A smooth transition from short hair on the sides to longer hair on top helps to make the difference between areas with thinning hair and the rest of the hair less visible.
If you leave your hair on the top of the head long enough to make a ponytail or a bun, you can rock a stylish and eye-catching top knot.
How to Choose a Flattering Haircut for a Receding Hairline
How to choose a haircut that will cover balding spots? Here are several tips from hairdressers that may help:
- look at photos of haircuts that are suggested for thinning hair
- use modern apps that allow you to ‘try on’ different haircuts and hairstyles
- consult with an experienced hairdresser or hair stylist
- better go for haircuts that do not require everyday styling
- consider haircuts with bangs that are perfect for hiding a receding hairline
- don’t shy away from a slightly messy look that will draw attention away from balding areas
- don’t forget about haircuts with tapered ends
- men can try growing a beard that will balance out the upper and lower parts of the head
- sideburns also help to balance out facial features if you have a receding hairline.
Check out our gallery of professional hair stylists' works to find more ideas of haircuts for a receding hairline.
Feel free to experiment and try various looks, consult with professionals and you’ll find a stylish haircut that will flatter you, receding hairline or no receding hairline.