- 1. Features of Oval Faces
- 2. Haircuts for Men with Oval Faces
- 3. Haircuts for Women with Oval Faces
- 4. Trendy Haircuts for Oval Faces
- 5. Summing Up
The oval face is considered the most versatile face shape. Those of us who are lucky to boast an oval face have no shortage of options when it comes to choosing a haircut. However, it’s still important to choose it right because a flattering haircut can produce a truly splendid effect if you want it to take off some years or just fit in with your style perfectly. Let’s look at some of the best ideas.
Features of Oval Faces
So, what features characterize this versatile face shape?
- The face is longer than it is wide.
- The forehead and jawline are approximately the same width.
- The cheekbones are rather wide.
- The chin is slightly rounded.
However, there are certain facial features that you may want to distract attention from, for example:
- a very high forehead
- too pronounced cheekbones
- a very long and sharp chin.
To soften these features, you should just pick a suitable haircut and know some tricks from professionals.
Haircuts for Men with Oval Faces
Here’s what you should take into account when choosing a haircut:
- Your facial features. For example, longer hair at the sides can help to mask too prominent cheekbones while longer hair is perfect for hiding large ears.
- Beard and mustache. If you have either, you should be careful to match your haircut with the style of your facial hair. You don’t want these important elements of your look to clash.
- Profession and age. A haircut that is associated with young boys can look ridiculous on a mature man.
Important! Steer clear of cuts and styles that will further elongate your oval. Long straight strands and rounded voluminous bangs are a no.
What are your best options?
This haircut has many variations: with more volume on the top of the head, with longer or shorter bangs, with asymmetry, etc.
Longer strands closer to the forehead and shorter hair at the back and on the sides make for a very flattering look.
A haircut that leaves longer hair and long bangs that can be styled to partially cover the face.
A cool combination of shorter or shaved sides and back and longer hair on the top of the head.
Long hair is also a cool option for men with oval faces, for example, long hair in combination with a fade cut.
Haircuts for Women with Oval Faces
Women with oval faces have a sea of options to choose from. You can rock almost any cut! Let’s take a look at some of the best options.
For Short Hair
The most popular options for short hair are pixie, garcon, and bob.
An inverted bob does not need any additional tweaks. Give it some volume with styling and it will help to veil your cheekbones if they are too prominent.
A longer variation of the inverted bob can visually soften the jawline. Bangs won’t work in this look as they will upset the balance of your facial features.
In the case of a pixie cut, a hairdresser’s job is to select the right shape of the cut to flatter your face shape.
You can go with a daring ragged pixie cut or a variation with longer bangs. Some other options feature clean and asymmetric cuts and more volume to the short hair.
This retro style has taken off again. It’s especially suitable for women with hard-to-style hair as there are no crisp lines. Garcon does not require layering but calls for thoroughly tapered bangs and the strands at the back of the head.
Such a haircut can be styled for the office or into a tousled look appropriate for informal occasions.
For Medium-Length Hair
There are many medium-length haircut options that look gorgeous on oval faces. Plus, such a length can easily tone down or bring out any features.
This classic, versatile, and ever-popular haircut is perfect for oval faces, especially in some variations.
- Thick hair will benefit from a layered bob. It will distract attention from too-wide cheekbones and a too-long chin and other features you would like to be less prominent, for example, a large nose. Make your rich hair the focus of attention.
- A long bob is a perfect option for business ladies if they need to keep their style elegant.
- A short bob is a common choice of daring beauties.
Layered cuts are prime for women with thin hair that need that additional volume. You can easily make thin medium-length hair appear more voluminous with the help of layered and cascading haircuts.
For Long Hair
A cascading cut adds more dimension and movement to long hair, which makes it an ever-popular option for ladies with long locks.
Long hair with layers beautifully framing the face is the recipe for a stunning look. Layers do not take away the length of your hair but at the same time soften the jawline, make the forehead visually wider, and veil the cheekbones.
A tip. If you’ve chosen a layered cut over a cascading one, try adding more volume to it with the help of a bit of teasing and curling.
Haircuts for Oval Faces with Bangs
The key to getting an ideal haircut with bangs is to choose the type of bangs that won’t distort your facial proportions, for example, making a massive forehead appear even larger.
Here are some possible combinations to enhance your look with bangs in the best possible way:
- Blunt bangs look great in combination with straight blunt hair. Bangs that reach down to the eyebrows will make your face seem rounder.
- Asymmetric bangs can make the face appear less chubby.
- Layered asymmetric bangs are a perfect element of a short haircut.
If you have wavy hair, you can go for blunt bangs, if they are thin and side-swept.
For a smooth transition between bangs and the rest of the hair, the bangs are made arched or curtain, or choppy.
Trendy Haircuts for Oval Faces
Bob, garcon, and pixie have been quite popular in recent years. To elevate the look, choose a fitting hair color.
Lob, layered, and cascading haircuts are also rarely out of fashion. Consider getting choppy, side-swept, or long bangs for a final touch of your fashionable look.
Highlights and their variations are also on-trend. Such a coloring technique elevates any haircut, adding texture and dimension to it.
The versatility of the oval face shape allows you to choose the most flattering haircut for you from the variety of options. Bangs can veil a big forehead, prominent cheekbones can be covered with a voluminous style, while layered haircuts will help to draw attention away from a long chin. The length of your hair doesn’t matter — you are sure to find the best option to create a head-turning look.
You can find more classy ideas for any style and occasion in our gallery.